Best Pruning Saw 2021 – Reviews and Buying Guide
If you have a small garden with some trees in your compound, then you probably already know how much work it takes to keep them looking good. Without proper maintenance, the branches in the tree grow without control. That is why it is vital to trim the branches and size up the trees now and then.
For this reason, every tree lover needs to have the best pruning saw in the work shed. With this tool, you can take down any rouge limbs of the tree and keep it looking neat and tidy. However, there are many different sizes of pruning saw, and it also comes with a varying number of features.
Top 10 Best Pruning Saws Reviews
In this article, we will take a look at some top pruning saws reviews that you could buy and also shed some light on what you should look for when choosing one.
1. Corona RazorTOOTH Pruning Saw, RS 7265D – Best Folding Pruning Saw
- 3 SIDED RAZOR TEETH FOR EFFICIENT CUTTING: 10" blade is...
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED, COMFORTABLE, CO-MOLDED HANDLE:...
- EASY TO LATCH BLADE PREVENTS INJURY WHEN NOT IN USE: Folding...
- IMPULSE HARDENED TEETH FOR LONG SERVICE LIFE: Extends the...
- UP TO 6 TEETH PER INCH AND CURVED BLADE DESIGN FOR FASTER...
A lot of us campers have been there, craving some time on the wild side but bothered by the sheer weight of equipment. If this is you, you will love Corona’s RazorTooth Pruning Saw. This one is sure to come in handy when you’re pruning, gardening, or hiking.
This item is pretty lightweight for its sharpness. By sharp, I mean it cuts through barks like sliced bread. It only weighs about 12.8 ounces but functions much more elegantly than a traditional saw.
The razor has three-sided teeth, six per inch, which stay sharp for quite a while. But the 10-inch blade can be replaced. Another cool thing about this product is how convenient it is to latch onto branches because of its bent, tapering blade.
It’s easy to lock, fold, and unfold. Moreover, the saw was made prioritizing ergonomics; so, it is comfortable to hold and bear. Besides, it’s the best saw you can buy within a limited budget.
- It can cut as much as 6 inches in one go
- The saw is light and easy to work with
- It is efficient yet small
- Easy attachment to branches due to bent blade
- The blade is not so thick
You need to be careful about the exposed blade teeth when folded. It must be kept out of children’s reach. Its excellent grip, activation lock, and rubber handles help prevent injury.
2. TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw, TTS32A – Budget-Friendly
- PRUNING EFFICIENCY. Pruning is a fun task with this...
- OUTDOOR & SURVIVAL. Keep this lightweight saw in your...
- STURDY YET LIGHTWEIGHT. The saw features a comfortable a...
- SAFETY SCABBARD. Another great feature is the scabbard that...
- ORDER WITH CONFIDENCE. We at TABOR TOOLS stand behind our...
What is the point of having a backyard you don’t want to step into for fear of getting tangled in all the vines and limbs? You might think you’ll need professional help for cleaning that mess up, but you might be proven wrong.
With this pruning saw by Tabor Tools is incredibly budget-friendly, you can do the sawing off all by yourself. With its 10-inch sharp blade containing precision ground 3-angled teeth, you can easily cut through branches with a 4” diameter.
The blade is curved, which ensures a secure latch, and it’s lean enough so that you can cut in places that are hard to reach by a regular saw. It is also impulse-hardened and coated so that the sharpness is durable.
This saw is the best for garden pruning for its great features. It comes with a fixed blade and an excellent sheath, so it is safer than a folding saw.
You can grab it like a pistol, by which I mean it has a comfortable grip with a thumb-rest, making it harder to slip from your hand. Plus, that is only an extra 8.8 ounces of weight you can latch on to your belt.
- The item offers a soft yet reliable and convenient grip
- You can rely on its sharpness
- Construction features high-quality materials
- Effortlessly reaches tight spots
- The design could be better
TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw comes with a holster, so make sure you remember to properly place it into the sheath when you’re done working. Also, it is aggressively sharp, but this gives it the edge you are looking for. Easily the best one for cost-effectiveness.
3. Fiskars Extendable Pole Saw & Pruner- Best Pole Pruning Saw
- Quickly and easily cut high branches with a sturdy tree...
- Includes a precision-ground steel pruner for cutting smaller...
- Secure double locking system ensures the extended pole stays...
- Fiberglass poles are lightweight yet strong
- Full lifetime warranty
Let’s see, twigs and limbs hanging above from trees are darkening the view in your yard, but you are uncertain if those pole saws are safe enough to get rid of them. Extendable pruners are recommended for this job, and in this respect, Fiskars is hard to beat.
The product uses a chain-drive mechanism, which makes it three times more effective. You can easily cut through wood with as much as 1-1/4” diameter. It can be extended up to 16 feet.
The pruner has a 15” WoodZig blade so that it hooks perfectly and lets you cut thick branches. It also has a low-friction coating for sawing comfortably. This item has a fiberglass oval-shaped pole that helps you stay in control. There are two locks to keep the pole put.
The saw is not heavy, weighing a little shy of 6 pounds, and is ergonomically built so that you do not lose balance. Fiskars Extendable Pole Saw is the best choice for efficiency and high-quality.
- You can cut high branches while staying put on the ground
- This product offers two types of cutting choices
- It comes with a superior double locking mechanism
- Lightweight blade provides flexible functioning
- Sometimes, the pruner blade is hard to open fully, and you have to use a lubricant
It is a well-made pruner and is going to save you a lot of money. However, make sure there is no one nearby while you’re working a high branch.
4. DocaPole GoSaw Pruning Kit
- 2X Strength Tree Saw with Pole For Branches Less than 2" in...
- Thumb Lever Clasps to Maintain Reach: Extend to needed...
- High Reach Tree Pruning Tools: Plenty of trimming reach so...
- Let The Saw Do The Work: Focus on back and forth cutting...
- Razor Sharp 13 Inch Bi-Directional Blade With 3X Tooth...
If you live among trees, chances are you often have to prune some superfluous branches on the ground or well above your head. So, you need two different pruning saw for two different levels of height, right?
Wrong. You only need this two-in-one pruning kit. Although this equipment is a bit pricey compared to others, the incredible quality alleviates the pain of high investment.
The GoSaw pruning saw has a bi-directional blade that is 13” long. The teeth are 3-sided taper ground, which ensures smoothness. It also has a safety locking feature and chrome-plating to prevent rust. You can directly use it to clear bushes and cut low branches, or you can attach it on top of the 6-24” DocaPole extension pole.
A DocaPole extension is a handy tool that lets you prune branches as high as 30 feet. This is a light, well-made aluminum telescoping pole. It even supports all sorts of attachments as well as a pruning saw. You need to extend the segments according to the height you’re trying to reach, and you’re good to go.
- It is a great combined kit for pruning at any height within 30 feet
- Being the best manual pruning kit, this product is worth every penny it costs
- Both the pole and saw are long-lasting
- Chrome plating ensures protection against rust and corrosion
- The cutting adeptness is affected if your elevation is not right
This product is a pretty good purchase as it lets you stay off the ladder and work just as proficiently. Make sure to tighten the GoSaw’s locking screw after attaching it to the pole-end and do not put much pressure as gravity does most of the work anyway.
5. Sun Joe SWJ800E Electric Pole Chain Saw
- EXTENDS REACH: Ideal for cutting overhanging limbs and thin...
- TELESCOPING: Pole extends to 8.7 ft. to provide 15 ft. of...
- POWERFUL: 6.5-amp motor cuts branches up to 7.5-inches thick
- AUTO-LUBRICATION: 8-inch cutting bar and chain with...
Are you a couch-potato who cannot stand a mess? If so, the odds are in your favor because Sun Joe Electric Pole Chain Saw is here to rid you of the mess in your yard. This product is designed to minimize your labor in pruning your backyard or your garden.
This item is a lightweight, simple to set up telescoping pole chain saw weighing only 7.7 pounds. It can give you a reach of 15ft above your head, but you can cut through branches near the ground too. It is a self-oiling machine that holds up to 2 Fl oz. of fluid that keeps the chain and 8” bar wet while being used.
Furthermore, this is the best electric pruning saw so far, and it will cost you comparatively more, but none of the money will go to waste. It is powered by a 6.5amp motor that lets you saw through branches as thick as 7.5” like butter.
It is perfect for cutting off superfluous lumber hanging overhead with its ergonomically designed handle. The equipment is by Sun Joe, so high-quality is confirmed.
- It is easy to retract and extend
- The product offers extensive longevity
- With a sturdy pole, this item does not get bendy when fully extended
- The comfortable grip provides superior control over the equipment
- The oil runs out quickly, so you might want to keep a refill ready
You have to be extremely careful while operating this machine and never let it be touched by water. Studying the manual is a must. But considering all its perks, undoubtedly there is no better pruning saw in the market.
6. Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw
- General purpose folding saw with an 7-1/2 -inch blade, 7...
- XT Toothing, 7 TPI. Blade is specially coated for rust...
- Two-component plastic handle for perfect grip, with leather...
- Specially designed for wildlife enthusiasts, hunters, and...
- Equipped with safety lock for both lock-in and lock-out
Are you a passionate hiker looking for a multi-purpose saw? Then you might want to consider buying the 3096-Laplander Folding Saw by Bahco. This tool is a convenient one for both indoor and outdoor needs. You will not find a saw in the market more suited to purpose with a price so low.
So, this is 9 inches long with a 7 ½ inch 7 TPI blade. It is sharp with 7 XT hardpoint teeth per inch, suitable to cut dead wood, greenwood, bones, and plastic materials. A hit among hikers and campers, the blade is coated to protect it from rust and offers low resistance so that you can cut and prune with ease.
The product has a two-component handle, which gives you a perfect grip. It also comes with a leather strap and extra blades. Another handy feature is that you can lock it in both open and folded position with a safety lock it provides. You will not regret taking it with you on your next hunting trip.
- The item is manufactured for cutting various materials
- It only weighs 7 ounces
- Durable and highly reliable
- Dual component handle provides perfect grip
- The strap is green, so you have to be careful not to lose it in the wild
The product is light, convenient, well-made, and it could not be more cost-effective. Its blade is hardly prone to go blunt. Therefore, this is simply the best saw for both pruning and outdoor adventures.
7. Greenworks Pole Saw Attachment PSA81 – Best String Trimmer
- Fits all Green works attachment capable string trimmers
- Wall hanging hook included for convenient storage
- 8" Bar and Chain
- Automatic oiler applies oil to the bar and chain when needed...
- Extension Shaft Included. 2 Year
Attaching cords for your string trimmer each time you want to declutter your garden can be tiresome. But now, you can get Greenworks Pole Saw attachment to get rid of the hassle. It is excellent for edging and a fantastic supplement to your gardening tools.
The product has a powerful battery, and it can dig fast. Edging your driveway or yard could not be more effortless without this attachment. You can whack weed and dirt from deep and hard to reach regions and even dig flowerbeds. It comes with an automatic oiler that allows smooth cutting and sturdiness of the bar and chain.
This item can be attached to any Greenworks string trimmer that is attachment compatible. It comes with an extension shaft and chain. The bar has a length of 8 inches. It is effortless to attach and set up; all you need is a click. Also, you need not go through any trouble for storage space, as it provides a hook to hang it on the wall.
- The attachment is easy to adjust
- It is a powerfully built saw that can clear a large place in minutes
- Automatic oiling feature
- Seamlessly reaches tight spots
- It is a bit heavy, about 7 pounds
This tool is perfect for weed whacking. Cover your legs properly, though, to keep from bruises. Nevertheless, it is the best product to slice through weed and give you the cleanest yard.
8. Samurai Ichiban 13″ Curved Pruning Saw (GC-330-LH)
- 13" blade with impulse hardened teeth with tapered grind to...
- 4mm tooth pitch
- Ergonomic, rubber cushioned handle
- Sheath with belt loop included
It is hard to find the right combination of sharpness and convenience when buying a saw. But I’ll help you, get the Samurai Ichiban pruning saw now. This is the best pruning saw with a reasonable price that lets you cut through limbs like a knife through butter.
This product has impulse-hardened three-sided teeth in its blade. It is merely effortless to work with and cuts with a pull-stroke. You can chop off pretty much any tree branch with a diameter of 1 to 6 inches.
The curved blade is 13 inches long but lean, which lets it reach tight spots. It is light for its competence, weighs only about 12.8 ounces.
The ease this product offers is hard to beat. The ergonomically designed handle has notches, so you always have an excellent grip on it. It also comes with a nice scabbard made of plastic which has a belt loop. There is chrome-coating on the blade to make the sharpness long-lasting and reduce friction.
- The item is effortless to work with
- It has the most comfortable handle to grab onto
- Its efficiency highly exceeds its price
- Chrome coating prevents corrosion
- You have to be extra careful with the blade to prevent injury, keep it away from children
With or without the price tag in mind, this is the best pruning saw with regards to sharpness and comfort. Be careful to apply as little pressure as possible to avoid longer cuts than necessary.
9. Felco Folding Saw (F 600)- Best Tree Pruning Saw
- QUALITY COMPONENTS - The small saw's high-quality steel,...
- MINIMIZES BUILDUP - The Felco 600 folding pull stroke...
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - Felco's exceptionally durable pull-stroke...
- SIMPLE TO USE - The saw pruner has an ergonomic non-slip...
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN - The trimming hand saw has a uniquely...
Once in a while, we all need to face the wild, and a saw is a must. That being said, whatever your hobby or occupation is, you cannot lose with Felco Folding Saw. It is the most versatile saw you can get for whatever pruning you need to do.
Let’s first talk about its cutting proficiency. The blade is small, only 6 inches long but enough to slice through a 4-inch limb quickly. It is conically shaped and lets you cut superfluous branches as well as deadwood smoothly with pull-strokes.
The razor-sharp blade teeth are impulse-heated and chrome-plated to prevent bluntness and rust.
The product weighs 5.5 ounces and has a length of 14 inches altogether, including a convenient handle made with non-slip materials. The teeth are specially built to resist sap-sticking and clogging.
This little saw is equally handy for arborists, horticulturists, landscapers, gardeners, campers, and homeowners. It is unbelievably easy to maintain, store, fold, and unlock.
- This product is made with high-quality steel offering longevity
- Locking and unlocking only requires a click
- It is unique in resisting sap from sticking
- Ergonomic handle makes it user-friendly
- It only cuts by a one direction motion
Do not let its size fool you; this saw is aggressively sharp, able to cut softwood as well as trunks with ease. But you must not move it from back and forth as it can mess with the blade’s straightness. It seems a bit pricier than it looks, but you are going to realize it is worth every penny once you start working with it.
10. Black Decker Handsaw PHS550B – best hand pruning saw
- HIGH POWER ELECTRIC HAND SAW - 3.4 Amp electric hand saw for...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT DESIGN - Ergonomically designed for...
- HIGH POWERED - Powers up to 4600 SPM (strokes per minute) to...
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR - Works great in both indoor and outdoor...
- TOOL-FREE BLADE CHANGES - Quickly change blades with no need...
Are you a minimalist and a fan of multi-purpose tools? Then you will love the Black + Decker handsaw. It is the best saw you can buy for the price of one because of its versatility. This product is battery-powered, hassle-free, and as handy as they come.
So, this saw can cut through metal, wood, plastic, and so on. If chainsaws seem too bulky or scary, grab one of these guys. It has a 3.4amp battery and a 4600SPM motor, so you can see it is powerful enough.
You can cut a limb with a diameter of about 5 inches or more with this easily. So, cut anything comfortably and smoothly with this equipment. It won’t take up much space, and you can keep it in the handy storage bag. The cord in this thing is about 6 feet long, which makes it great for working in your backyard.
Also, the item is astonishingly light for an electric saw, weighs only 5.65 pounds. It is easy to maintain with a convenient handle. You can change blades without any trouble.
- The saw is versatile, works equally well for indoor and outdoor purposes
- It is lightweight and easy to work with
- It comes with a powerful battery
- An effortless blade changing facility
- Expect it to shake a bit while cutting green hardwood.
This handsaw is hard to beat, especially considering its price. It can prune branches and slice through heavy materials efficiently. Remember to wear gloves to reduce strain on your arm.
Things to Consider When Buying The Best Pruning Saw
Now that you have gone through our selection of products, it is time to look at some of the features you should consider when choosing one for yourself. Investing in a device like a pruning saw requires some research so that you can be happy with your purchase.
With that thought in mind, let us take a look at the things you should consider before buying a pruning saw.
Types of Pruning Saw
The first thing that you should know is that there are four different types of pruning saw you can find in the market. You need to understand what sets them apart from each other to figure out which is the right one for you.
Handheld pruning saw:
It is a small device that usually comes with a straight or curved edge. They are the lightest of all saw types. If you are dealing with small branches, this is the best choice.
Straight blade pruning saw:
This type of pruning saw features a straight blade with a curved handle. These saws come with an ergonomic handle and quite comfortable to use. It is the best choice when dealing with sap and greenwood.
Curved blade pruning saw:
As you might understand from the name, this type of saw comes with a curved blade. It also comes with an ergonomic handle similar to the straight blade pruning saw. However, this tool, thanks to the curved blade, is best suited for heavy-duty cutting
Pole pruning saw:
When you are dealing with branches that are out of reach from the ground, you need to use a pole pruning saw. These units come with long handles that allow you to reach high branches and often feature rotating blades.
Another priority consideration is the length of the blade. Smaller blades are easier to handle but cannot compete with the efficiency of long blades. Short blade saws are affordable and easy to store in your workshop. That is why, for a beginner, they are the best choice.
However, with the more extended size, you can get a higher range of cuts and also better stability. Longer blades are less likely to pull out while cutting a branch, which makes them better for extended sessions. Blade size can range from 5 to 20 inches, and you should choose one that suits your needs.
As you already know there are a few different types of pruners. But you need to figure out what type of pruning you’re going to do and select your blade accordingly
For cutting up branches up to 2.5-inches in diameter take the help of a curved pruning saw with finely placed teeth. As they’re finely toothed, you can expect to make a clean cut with less effort.
But settle for a coarsely-toothed saw if the branch diameter is more than 3-inches. And finally, get yourself a pole pruner if the branches are out of your reach.
Handle of The Saw
The handle might be the most crucial part of the saw since that is the place where you will be holding it. Pruning sessions can get long, and if the grip is not comfortable, it might get tiring very soon. Furthermore, you will not be able to make precise cuts with the saw.
You need to pay close attention to the material of the saw. It might be made with rubber, plastic, or even wood. Also, make sure that the handle is anti-slip to prevent any risk of injuries. Finding the right handle goes a long way in choosing the best pruning saw.
The weight of the device will determine how long you can use the saw without suffering from fatigue. For this reason, it is always worthwhile to consider how heavy the product is before buying it. Thankfully, many pruning saws come in a lightweight design to eliminate user fatigue.
However, heavy-duty pruning saws will often be heavier because of their size. This type of unit is meant to tackle large branches. But if your requirement is limited to smaller shrubs, you can get away with a light, low-profile model. It all depends on your intended purpose.
Lastly, you must consider the durability of the product. Spend some time to check the construction quality of the saw and look at the blade and handle material. If your purchased unit breaks down after a couple of uses, there is no point in getting it. Try to look out for tempered steel or high carbon steel as they are the most reliable.
Reasons to Get a Pruning Saw
Pruning saws are the perfect tool to tidy up your plants with extreme precision. The cuts stay clean and you don’t damage other parts of the plant. Other than that, there are a few reasons why you shouldn’t pass on getting a pruning saw-
Cut Thicker Branches
Pruning saws let you cut branches up to 3-inches. Although 3-inch is not the limit. Add in a bit more time & effort, and you’ll be able to cut even thicker branches.
Save Time with Cutting Efficiency
Pruning saws are far more efficient as they can cut branches with pull and push stroke. As a result, no effort is wasted. If it moves, it’ll cut the branches.
Unlike regular saws that only cut with the push stroke, pruning saws save you a lot of time and effort along the way.
Lasts Longer Due to Premium Material
Being made out of premium tempered steel, pruning saws don’t compromise even a bit when it comes to durability. No matter how tough the job is, there’s minimal risk of the teeth breaking.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1. What should I use to clean and disinfect my pruning saw?
To clean the saw, you can use anything from dish soap, water, scrubbing bubble, or even bathroom cleaner. If you find rust in your blade, you can use vinegar to get rid of it. And when it comes to disinfecting, 70% isopropyl alcohol works best.
#2. What is a bypass pruning saw?
Bypass pruning saw comes with two curved blades arranged like that of a scissor. They are suitable for trimming bushes and hedges.
#3. How can I sharpen my pruning saw?
You can sharpen your pruning saw using a diamond file.
#4. Is it better to replace the blade of the saw instead of sharpening it?
It depends entirely on the user. If you do not need a different type of blade, then it might be better to just sharpen it instead of spending money to buy a new one.
Pruning saw is an indispensable tool when you want to control the looks of your garden. To prevent a mess of bushes and branches, you need to trim regularly.
We hope this article on the best pruning saw was informative and could help you find the perfect device for you.